On Wednesday 29 Jan 2003 1:15 am, Pascal Goguey wrote:
> Hello!

Hello, Pascall.  Comments in-line -

> I have a problem configuring the network on one machine that
> should act as a bridge between a 10 machines LAN and the rest
> of the world.
>
> I have a PC with 2 ethernet boards. One (eth0) is connected to an ADSL
> modem (12 Mbps) by DHCP, and the other to the local network.
>
> The address provided by the ADSL modem is something like
> 192.168.0.1. I thought this kind of address was reserved for local,
> but it seems I cannot change it.

Are you sure this is the 'outside' address?  I would have thought that it was
the 'internal' address that is meant to be the gateway.  192.168.xxx.xxx is,
so far as I know exclusively for use in local networks.

> So for eth1, I have set up the address 192.168.10.1.

This puts eth1, and presumably any other computers attached to it on a
different subnet.  Did you intend that?

I would have expected all your computers to be on the 192.168.0.x subnet, with
192.168.0.1 set as gateway.  Have you tried that?

> I have downloaded the two CDs of Mandrake 9.1 beta. When I want
> to configure the connextion sharing, it keeps asking me for CD1.
> When I click OK, it spins for a while and then asks me again for CD1.
> I have also tried inserting CD2 just in cas it was a typo, but it
> does not work.
>
> Did anybody experience this problem? How can I solve it?

HTH

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302