On Thursday 30 Jan 2003 4:37 am, Larry Williams wrote:
> Yippee!  Yahoo (uh oh, is that a registered trademark?)
>
> I am now successful in printing from my Windows machines.
>
> What did I do?  Upgraded.
>
> I used the Mandrake Update link (well, and gftp because I am tired of
> downloading the same packages over and over because of network failures)
> and installed updated versions of both samba and cups (and another 200+MB
> of other goodies I'd downloaded).
>
> I then reconfigured cups, enabling raw file printing and setting the log
> level to debug.  I used the WWW admin tool to configure the printer, then
> restarted cups.
>
> Next came samba.  I used swat to configure it, using hints from the links
> Anne and Derek provided.  Then I restarted samba.
>
> Printing failed.  This time, though it had something to do with samba not
> having permission to access cups.  On a hunch I changed the guest account
> to lp for the Printers settings and restarted again.
>
> For grins, I did reboot the machine.  I don't think I needed to, I think it
> was just my Windows showing.  After all, I always get out of my car and get
> back in if it doesn't run right.  Always works. ;)  But during the boot I
> did find that my parallel port is set to EPP.
>
> Speaking of Windows, I decided I should start fresh there, too.  I removed
> the printer definition, restarted Windows (it had been running for seconds
> on end and was ready to die anyway), and installed the printer.  I did as
> Anne had suggested early on; install but do not print a test page, reboot,
> then print. It was then I actually looked at all the configuration bits and
> saw I was spooling a file in EMF format and not RAW.  That may also have
> been an issue, but I left it on EMF.
>
> And you know what?  It did work.  My only conclusion is that I had to
> update samba and/or cups, then do a clean config of both.
>
> Thanks to all who offered suggestions.  They were all helpful in the end.

Great news, Laryry.  I'd guess it was the cups update - I seem to remember
seeing somewhere that it supported many more printers.  Anyway, thanks for
all the info - I'm sure it will help someone else later - and ignore my last
post with all the questions: they're no longer relevant.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302