On Thursday 30 Jan 2003 7:29 am, Angus Auld wrote:
> [...]

This thread prompted me to take a look at the MandrakeOnline Service. I had
ignored it since Release 8.1 when all it did is send you e-mails when there
was a security update to do. It seems that now MandrakeOnline has evolved
into quite a nice autoupdating facility.

Just register your computer at www.mandrakeonline.com, and then go through the
mdkupdate wizard via the link on your desktop. If you check the option in the
wizard for auto updates you then will do a nightly update of all outstanding
packages.

A page on mandrakeonline tells you which packages are scheduled, and shows a
log of all transactions.

The cron job which does all this runs in the middle of the night. If your
computer is not switched on then, it will of course not run. Installing the
anacron RPM will ensure the job runs in the morning when you switch the
computer on. The cron job basically does the same as the urpmi.update/urpmi
--auto-select already discussed.

The MandrakeOnline service is free for a single computer, but they charge for
multiple computers.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net