On Thursday 30 January 2003 07:53 am, robin wrote:
> iggy wrote:
> >dear all,
> >
> >***symptoms***  i recently installed 9.0 and have noticed that it is
> > painfully slow.  i'm very surprised as 8.2 ran like a bat out of hell.
> >
> >***pertinate info***  msi mobo(i don't remember the model offhand), amd
> > 1700+ cpu, 256 mb ram (unknown manufacturer), wd 40gb hard drive, sony
> > 16x dvd, verbatim 40x,12x, 48x cdrw, d-link 10/100 network card and hub,
> > g-force 2 64mb w/ tv out, sound blaster audigy mp3 sound card, (and i
> > hope i didn't forget anything else! lol)
> >
> >***specifics***  slow starting kde, slow starting each and every app, fast
> >logging out, fast boot to graphical log in.
> >
> >any additional info you may need, please feal free to ask (i'm a n00b, so
> > i may be RTFM on how to retreive that info!)
> >
> >as always, thanks to those volunteers and others whom take time to
> > generously help out those of us with less experience.
>
> An obvious question, but have you checked to see what daemons are
> running (Mandrake Control Center->System->Services)?  A couple of times
> I've clicked on a package I didn't actually need during installation, so
> then Mandrake obligingly started the appropriate demon.  Some of these
> can be real resource-hoggers, fetchmail being one of the wrost offenders.
>
> Sir Robin

thanks for the tip.  i had noticed that when i rebooted (i dual boot with
win98 for a few games i have) that the squid deamon was failing to stop
normally.  i attempted to stop the deamon through the services menu and it
failed to stop also.  i then uninstalled it.

also, i noticed that mysql and postgresql were both installed.  since i'm only
interested in learing mysql (for now), i stopped the postgresql deamon and
uninstalled it also. the innd deamon ran installed and running.  since i'm
not creating my own news server i stopped the deamon and removed the program.

if anything i've done seems (or is) wrong, please feel free to let me know.

thanks, again.
-iggy