On Thursday 30 January 2003 01:59 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 30 Jan 2003 6:30 pm, et wrote:
> > <Snipped>

> > > seems that named (a DNS) would be the only one i need of the ones you
> > > mentioned as i am attempting to setup a server/dumb terminal network as
> > > per www.ltsp.org and need dns.  the rest were deactivated as per your
> > > suggestion. Dennis M. had mentioned that on his system leaving the bios
> > > set to auto detect contributed to a slow and unstable system and
> > > suggested doing a hd detect in bios.  perhaps with both suggestions i
> > > can get this thing moving!
> > >
> > > thank you (and Dennis M.) for your time and suggestion.
> > > -iggy
> >
> > DNS, if not configured correctly is one of those things that will sure as
> > hell start a system to crawl, as your box might decide it needs to look
> > on the Internet for //iggy.ISP.com/home/Iggy/fileIneed.txt instead of
> > /home/iggy/fileineed.txt, and look to the dns servers "upline" before
> > timing out and looking for the file where it is supposed to be. this
> > might only take ten seconds while your network is up, but 10 seconds
> > added to the time to open each file can sure make it seem like it is
> > crawling. IMHO, better to not try to setup a dns server untill the rest
> > of the box is setup correctly.
>
> When I got dns wrong it affected absolutely everything.  Opening a file
> from the desktop took upwards of a minute.  Sure the startup was very, very
> slow, but so was every other time the system needed it.  Maybe this setup
> has a correct entry coupled with one or more incorrect ones, so that
> eventually gets there, while mine just had to time out.
>
> Anne

i stopped the deamon from starting at boot, rebooted and checked to make sure
that the deamon was stopped.  it was... however, i'm still quite slow.  it
does not take me 1 minute more like 15 - 20 seconds to open programs.  i do
remember that the only other time i did a default install (mdk 8.2) i also
had a slow system.  once i did a custom install (checking only the programs i
wanted and needed) the system ran fine.  i'll reinstall if i have to :^(  but
i'm not looking forward to it (reeks of ms crap i went through w/ win98).

anyother ideas would be greatly appreciated.
-iggy