On Thursday 30 January 2003 03:52 pm, Richard Babcock wrote:
> Of course I have to jump on this!
>
> I would rather have my warts for free than pay slick Willie for them!
>
> -----snip-----
>
> > But some (actually many) among the Linux user base can't
> > admit this: Anything that suggests that Linux has some
> > serious warts, or that not all Microsoft products are
> > Absolute Evil Encoded, gets denied or rejected out of hand:
> > One poster actually tried to argue that my analysis was
> > flawed because "Red Hat Linux isn't Linux." (What?) Another
> > took the tack of arguing that I'm simply a "bootlicking
> > shill." (Yes, ad homonym arguments and
> > debate-by-name-calling are staples of discourse in the Linux
> > community.)
>
> -----end snip-----
Err, that is ad hominem and don't forget ad populem, simple rhetoric styles
which seem to be much more present than actual logical fallacies....

Civileme

Linux has some serious warts, more often than not unimplemented features that
we cannot match to MS because we don't have the special relationships with
manufacturers, and Microsoft HAS improved quality.  The assertion that Linux
has as many bugs as XP though is definitely antagonistic and probably
unwarranted, and most certainly unprovable.

But, and it is a big but, when a new exploit is discovered the linux reaction
is often before the appearance of the exploit in the wild, and rarely does
one have to reboot to apply the fix.  The Microsoft reaction is usually late,
quite often breaks other things, and frequently requires a reboot, which is a
super PITA on a heavy server.  All of this follows naturally from the
development styles practiced by the two communities.  GNU/Linux has the
agility and will retain it.

And of course, everything else being equal, which may one day approach, with
Micrsoft, you lose control of your computer.  You can use it only for
activities allowed by the license.  With linux, the computer you paid for
with your own money remains YOURS.