Lanman wrote:
Mark; Could you take a moment to define your use of the word "Balls"?
I'm hoping that your intended use of the word was in reference to the
fact that this list is not a political group, and therefore is probably
unable to effect a change in the foreign policies of the United States
where war is the outcome, rather than implying that this group or
members thereof have no will or courage of their own?

A clarification would probably go a long way to minimizing the list of
replies that your post would otherwise generate!

Lanman
Hi Lanman,

Actually just after hitting the send button, (it was rather early in the morning and had just gotten my first cup of coffee for the morning) I realized that I could have worded it differently. What I really meant to say is that as far as the UN is concerned they and the current US administration aren't exactly on the best of terms at the moment. So, anything coming directly from the UN isn't going to carry anywhere near the amount of passion and volume was it would coming from "people" both in and outside the US. Which is why I suggested they make their case directly instead of going through a third party that isn't likely to be heard.

In that manner the UN is effectively without "balls" as in Eunch. nuetered...know what I mean? Not that they have no valid authority or anything, because they are comprised of member nations from all over the globe and as such carry the weight and opinion of those nations represented. Only that, as I said, the current administration, whether right or wrong, isn't likely going to give much weight to statements and mandates coming from the UN. It would appear that their mind is set, (US administration) and they've decided which direction they're going to go. I would to God that it were no so. I really believe there is a better way of dealing with Iraq and I also personally believe it should be strong, thorough, permanant, decisive, and most of all multi-national through the UN. Anything else will only enflame the situation and make America's standing in the global community that much more tenuous.

Sorry for the confusion. :) I'll try to refrain from responding to matter of weight until I've at least *finished* my first cup of coffee.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996