Anne Wilson wrote:

On Sunday 02 Feb 2003 2:41 pm, Adolfo Bello wrote:

For archiving purpose, you can achieve both high quality and high
compression using tar and gzip or bzip2.

tar -cjf filename.tar.bz2 filename.pnm

Compressed size to original size ratio will vary, being 1/3 a rough mean
value for raw pnm and bzip2.

Only drawback is that you will need to decompress it before using any
graphic program.

Following this with interest, as I have the same interest as John. It may be worth experimenting with this, John, as Ark will allow us to look inside the archive and just extract one file. But it doesn't get round the question of future-proofing, I think. Tar has been around a long time, but like John, I'm apprehensive about file formats of the future, and like him, I tend to think that the best provision will be for the formats most used, which is why I tend to end up with an uncompressed file in case of future editing and a jpg file for general use.

Anne

Anne has answered the matter better than I can have said it myself. However I'm not entirely
without the consideration of quality .pnm is said by those people who know, to contain much
more real data that can be manipulated, so that on the whole if you have an original sample
picture whose quality is suitably good in the first place(it has to be said most home snaps are not good
enough) such as plate camera prints and negatives then the use of .pnm file format is
probably justifiable. If I example say that ancient family archive photo of grandfather
george xyz , originally produced in a studio in Birmingham with a 10inch x12inch glass
plate camera and the resulting qua;lity of image is so good that well .jpg sort of says
no, I'm not good enough for this work, so lets scan .pnm or something and compress and make a
special case for these precious family airlooms. Notwithstanding that most family snaps I think need
to be scanned to .jpg and held long term like that. Anyway I'm open to suggestions, thoughts, and ideas.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]