On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 18:30, robin wrote:
> FemmeFatale wrote:
> > Subject says it all.  In windows that option exists.  Now IIRC Kde can
> > do it with its logout screen no?  Or just do it in the K/GDM screen?
> > Yes?  Or is there another way if i'm on a term or one of the other
> > "shells" (IE, ctrl-alt-F1 shell).
>

> shutdown -h now
>
> (you need to do it as root, or give yourself permission)

I've had the same problem, but haven't gotten around to posting a
question about it so far.

For me, shutdown -h now does the same thing that powering down via the
GUI does:  the shutdown sequence script shows up on the screen and will
get as far as "power down", but will not actually power down the
computer.

I'm running 9.0 on an old Compaq Deskpro.  I didn't have this problem
with 7.2.

So what to do?