On Monday February 3 2003 05:22 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 02 Feb 2003 11:33 pm, Jason Greenwood wrote:
> > Shutdown requires root permission, with halt AFAIK a user does
> > not....???
>
> Depends on a configuration setting.  I've never used halt, so I
> couldn't say for that, but I would have thought it was similar to
> shutdown.  I use shutdown -h (or -r) as user, because I am the only
> person likely to be using it and the risk is minimal - my choice.
> Certainly if others were using this machine I would rather they did
> that than simply powered off.
>
> Anne

   'halt' is basically just an alias for 'shutdown -h now'

  From the man page,

  "If  halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0
or 6,  in other words when it's running normally,  shutdown  will  be
invoked instead  (with  the  -h  or -r flag). For more info see the
shutdown(8) manpage."

   So 'halt' or 'reboot' just save a little typing ;)