On Friday 07 February 2003 10:07 am, Angus Auld wrote:
> Greetings, I would like to know if there is a command for rpm that will
> allow me to rebuild from a source rpm, but not have the resulting rpm
> package install. That is, when I am rebuilding as su. I have read,
> somewhere, that one should never rebuild from source as root, because if
> errors occur you can end up with a partial install of the binary. Anyone
> have any thoughts on this. I have mosly done all of my rebuilding as user,
> and have had good results. But, I just tried rebuilding texstars
> "aquafusion-icons-0.5.0-2tex.src.rpm" and rpm balked, saying it couldn't
> access /usr/src/rpm, and it exited the build. I want my rpms to build to
> ~/rpm.
>
> I have tried to RTFM about rpm, but find it thoroughly confusing. Any
> advice/help would be truly appreciated.
>
> Best regards to all.
>

> --Angus
>
> "Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in
> awareness."--James Thurber

> *Reg. Linux User #278931*
> *Power by Mandrake Linux 9.0*
Angus, here is how I do it. Open a console and su  then root pasword. then at
the prompt
1.  type rpm --rebuild nameof file.src.rpm   It will go through a bunch of
text and end up back at a prompt.
2. You then have to " cd /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586"  which will take you to the
file that the src packages built the rpms into.
3. Then check to make sure the .rpms are in there I do it with "ls"  if they
are there ,  at the command prompt you can do:
4. "urpmi *.rpm" > enter and it should install the rpms. This works for the
current .src.rpm package you are trying to build but if you have done it
before the other builds will still be there in  i586 so you have to move them
or delete them.
HTH
--
Dennis M.  linux user # 180842