On Friday 07 February 2003 10:30 pm, Chuck Burns wrote:
> On Friday 07 February 2003 10:59 pm, K. Spress wrote:
> > Thinking about this on a 56k phone dial up modem it would take 2 days
> > straight at 5k per second?
> >
> > so at about 35k per second on a 256k dsl about 6.5 hours
>
> *snip*
> my cablemodem is capped 1.5Mbps, the same as the most popular dsl speeds..
> and I can download a 700M CD image in less than an hour, with favorable
> network conditions.  For some of the "hokier" dsl services, that offer
> 400kbps and 800kbs, you can just about double, to quadruple that..

My cable modem has a slightly different cap. 8 Mbps (mega BITS per second)
download maximum, 1.5 Mbps upload max. The big marketing point locally is
that DSL is "never shared bandwidth" while cable is. Yeak OK, so? What I get
as my shared bandwidth from cable "at peak hours" is still higher than the
best my downstairs neighbour gets from his DSL.

The last ISOs I downloaded were Mandrake 9.1beta3. All three simultaneously,
three different servers so I didn't "hog the bandwidth" from any individual
mirror. The 3 images (all three are roughly 700 MB) were completed in 1 hour
23 minutes. A three ISO distribution download with this connection is usually
between 1.5 and 3.25 hours depending only on available bandwidth at the
mirror and internet traffic between here and <wherever> there.

I can download them faster than I can generally burn them since my CD-RW is
only a 4x4x24 Mitsumi. <g>

Did someone say fast?

Regards;
--