SNIP

> Thanks Derek, that was exactly what I needed. Who knew that "." was a
> regular expression?  I don't seem to get much spam from any source, maybe
> once a month, but I know that sooner or later it will come. Your help is
> appreciated.  So much to learn, so little time.  :  )

1 a month!  I get about 50 a day! I have obviously been too careless with my
email address :-(

With spamassassin in place that comes down to about 1 spam every 2 weeks, and
zero false positives.

BTW: Spamassin can be tuned to add more tests, (some tests are disabled by
default because they are chargable for non personal use), to set the spam
points threshold, or to tune the points of individual tests.

This is what I use as my ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs

required_hits           6                             #default is 5
whitelist_from  *.mandrakeclub.com
blacklist_from  *.amazingwebspecials.com   #these guys make their spam
                                                               #look innocent
score RCVD_IN_RBL               10
score RCVD_IN_RSS               1
score RCVD_IN_DUL               1
score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET    4
score FROM_AND_TO_SAME_1         5

If spamassassin was installed from the Mandrake RPM from Contrib, then the
default scoring is rather strange. (For example mails sent with Kmail are
considered as 'spammish' ) I always replace the
/usr/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf file with the one from the spamassassin
tarball at http://www.spamassassin.org/released/Mail-SpamAssassin-2.41.tar.gz

Have fun

derek

--