On Sunday 09 Feb 2003 4:46 pm, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Sunday 09 Feb 2003 3:49 pm, Keith Powell wrote:
> > I have downloaded and installed a program from the internet, which needs
> > to access the soundcard. When I try to run it, I get the error message:
> >
> > Cannot open Audio Device  /dev/sound/dsp: Device or resource busy.
> >
> > I have checked permissions and they are correct.
> >
> > Any ideas to overcome this error, please?
>
> You could try setting it to use /dev/dsp or /dev/dsp1
> If there is no configuration option available try creating a symlink
> ln -s /dev/dsp /dev/sound/dsp
>
> derek

Hello Derek.

Thank you for the suggestions, but unfortunately none of them work. In fact,
things have got more complicated.

There is no config file for the program. The configuration is set up from the
program when it is running. The "error box" which shows the device
(/dev/sound/dsp), appears to have the facility to change the device by typing
in a different one. I have altered it to /dev/dsp, but pressing the OK button
still gives the same error. However, on restarting the program, the original
device is shown again.

There is no dsp1, only /dev/dsp and /dev/sound/dsp. Should there be a dsp1?

When I create the symlink, it says that the file /dev/sound/dsp already
exists.

So, I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it. Now, I get the error
message:

inexact sampling rate: request for 8000 resulted in 48000Cannot open audio
device /dev/sound/dsp: Invalid argument

BUT!

I have just installed the program into SuSE (which I rarely use these days,
preferring Mandrake). It runs perfectly, with no error messages about not
opening  /dev/sound/dsp or the sampling rate.

The plot thickens!

Sorry your suggestions did not work.

--
Cheers