On Wednesday 12 Feb 2003 9:26 am, Jerry Barton wrote:
> OK i'm gabby today.  I'm trying out some new things here and trying to
> learn more.  Besides my font problem, tonight's other project was to learn
> building rpms from a source .tar.bz2 format.  just for testing i downloaded
> the source for the aspell english dictionary to play with.  Now... from
> reading man rpm it seems i should use:
>
> rpm -ta packagename.#.#.tar.bz2 right?
>
> but....
> i get the following error
>
> [jerry@supertrouper jerry]$ rpm -ta aspell-en-0.51-0.tar.bz2
> error: Failed to rename /home/jerry/RPM/SPECS/rpm-spec.1Q4OcU to
> /home/jerry/RPM/SPECS/rpm-spec.1Q4OcU: No such file or directory: No such
> file or directory [jerry@supertrouper jerry]$
>
> I do not have a ~/RPM/SPECS/ folder, do i need one?  also, do i need to
> copy anything in there?  build some kind of spec file? (i don't even know
> what one is lol)  Could someone please explain a little or point me to a
> link.
>
> Thx
> Jerry.

An RPM needs a spec file telling it how the files in an application are to be
treated.

Here is the Mandrake guide to making RPMs
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/howtos/mdk-rpm/

An easy way to make an RPM from a tarball is using the checkinstall package
(I think checkinstall is in contrib)
http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
Compile your tarball with './Configure' and 'make' as normal and then run
checkinstall. It will create an RPM for you and install it.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net