Aside from Tom's insighful comments[1], to set some facts straight...

On Wednesday February 12 2003 01:09 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
[...]
> thing.  In LM91 beta 3, to duplicate the functionality of one LM82
> Rpmdrake UI instance, you must activate all four icon instances of
> rpmdrake listed in MCC.  Then you end up with four seperate
> windows, each one of which looks identical to the other one except
> for the title bars.  It's absurd.

For me, it's absurd to keep all four open. I keep my box up-to-date
all the time and only need one (install). And from time to time, but
far less often, I also need to start uninstall.

I wonder how often you change your sources, if you need to keep it
open...

The only time I find the new scheme lacking is when I try to find out
about the state of a package without knowing it's name (I try
searching and cannot be sure whether I mistyped the name of it is not
in the installed list).

> Now try running the "new and improved" rpmdrake from an Eterm.
> It puts you into "software packages installation" mode.  Can you
> affect what mode you want it to go into?  Not according to
> rpmdrake --help.  There is not a method listed to do so.

That's because they are four different programs. You don't expect to
find "rmdir" when you type "mkdir --help" do you?

> Translation: "Mandrake Update" mode: unavailable.

MandrakeUpdate

> "Remove software" mode: unavailable.

rpmdrake-remove

> "Software Sources Manager" mode: unavailable.

edit-urpm-sources.pl

> Previously all these functions were easily accessible from within
> the LM8X rpmdrake UI.

What's wrong with using the GUI (mcc) to start a GUI-program? Or
really using the CLI, if you start doing so (using urpmi instead of
rpmdrake)?

> NOW you have to activate a seperate icon for each one. El dumb-o.
>
> The positive side to all this is that in the Mandrakeclub RPM
> voting page, you can let it be known if you do not like LM9X
> Rpmdrake by casting your vote for Ctardif's entry, listed as
> "rpmdrake 1.4 (9.1/i586)".  This would bring back the old rpmdrake.

I doubt that. There are technical reasons why it cannot be brought
back with reasonable effort. Read the cooker list archives for why.

Regards,

        Benjamin.

[1] You are on the cooker list since at least October... Even if you
    had no opportunity to read the discussion about rpmdrake, you
    should know where to look for it by now.