On Wednesday 12 February 2003 7:31 pm, Adolfo Bello wrote:
>*snip*
> Without having a default gateway a host can only contact other host in
> its own subnet.
>
> So leaving the W2K system without default gateway, W2K will be jailed to
> the subnet it belongs to.

This is the same suggestion I was about to make.Use DHCP to assign the
machines an IP address, but force the win2k bootup to be a manually set IP,
something like 192.168.1.254 with the default gateway left blank Then, as
Adolfo states, the win2k machine won't know how to get outside it's current
subnet, and since the other machines will be assigned IPs AND default
gateways via the router (read: box with 2 nics or real router) they WILL be
able to get out of the subnet and onto the internet.

--
Chuck Burns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>