On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:43:09 +0000
Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 13 Feb 2003 11:46 am, Adolfo Bello wrote:

> > > Wouldn't this be better all on one subnet? Surely then the lan will
> > > behave properly, but without a gateway the W2K machine won't be able to
> > > get out?  Or is this because I'm thinking router, and sharing a dial-up
> > > would be different?
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Hi Anne:
> >
> > Exactly what this fellow wants: denying W2K to get out. Of course, for
> > W2k to see the router box they have to be in the same subnet.
> >
> > I don't see any difference when sharing a dial-up connection but that
> > kernel routing tables in the router machine are set automatically when
> > the dial-up connection is started and last until dial-up connection is
> > closed.
> >
> > Is this what you were asking?
>
> Yes - it seemed to me that he (or someone in the thread) was talking of
> putting the W2K machine on another subnet.  Couldn't see the point of that,
> since it would not reach the lan at all.
>
> Anne
> --
> Registered Linux User No.293302

I think that was me.  My suggestion was to have the linux box set as a class B network
instead of a C (so that the linbox would accept connections from 192.168.*.* instead
of just 192.168.0.* for example) and have the connection sharing allowed to
192.168.0.* range of IP's in the subnet and not 192.168.1.*  (and the rest of the ip
range of the network), put the win98 on 192.168.0.* and put the win2k on 192.168.1.*.
then on both put the gateway as 192.168.0.1 (the linbox lan interface's ip) so that
they could both connect to it, just that the win2k boot would be out of the ip range
of the connection sharing. It was just an idea and i was wondering if it would work if
setup that way.  so it isn't really on a different subnet that the linbox can't see,
since the linbox's subnet mask would be 255.255.0.0. but i wasn't sure if i was right.
 I'm fairly new to networking so i was probably wrong.  Had I more than 2 machined I'd
have tested it first before suggesting it however I only have 2 so i threw it out to
the list and said maybe... get feedback on it.

jerry
Registered Linux user # 300600
Registered Linux machine # 185855
at http://counter.li.org