On Sunday 16 February 2003 06:29 am, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:
> On Sat 2003-02-15 at 22:48:16 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Couldn't help but LMAO when i read THIS one.
> >
> > http://www.briansbuzz.com/w/030213/
>
> There is nothing special about it. You have the same with
> Linux. Put in some install disk, choose rescue mode and you can
> access everything as root.
>
> With physical access to a standard PC, everything is possible
> (within about 15-30 mins), except if you encrypt your
> filesystems.
>
> The only new thing is, that you now have such a "rescue disk" for
> MS Windows XP by using a MS Windows 2000 CD, instead of having to
> make your own one.
>
>     Benjamin.

Yep you need a security rig that requires you to use a keyed lock to remove
the case cover, unless you are encrypting filesystems.

You can avert the problem with winXP or with rescue disks by putting a boot
password in the BIOS, if the BIOS permits it, and then all you have to worry
about is that someone will pop the case cover, move a jumper next to the
battery to clear CMOS, then boot on anyway, using the "rescue disk".

Well, I have a device that will prevent that, if ever I have time to implement
it.

Civileme