On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, you wrote:
>Also, Mandrake's version has a
> problem with unmounting its stuff when shutting down, it fails very often
> and goes through some sort of scandisk at startup. Never happened while I
> was trying RedHat 6.

Known problem. Go update the kernel and init scrips from the Mandrake
6.0 "upgrades" directory. This has been posted HUNDREDS of times in
various mailing lists. Go to www.linux-mandrake.com and find one of
the mirror sites, go get the new kernel rpm file (you should ONLY
need *ONE* kernel RPM file -- ie kernel-<version>.i586.rpm, as well
as the initscripts rpm. Alternatively, you may try buying the
Mandrake 6.1 Cheapbytes CD and upgrade your Mandrake 6 install.
        John