On Tuesday 18 February 2003 02:47, Terry Sheltra wrote:
> You need to also make sure that the path to j2re is in your
> ~/.bash_profile for it to work.  My ~/.bash_profile has:
>
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/bin

I just want to mention that I once had problems with that line as it is. In
earlier Mandrake distros they had some kind of java installed (Kaffe) and if
you don't deleted that then the line above would give you still the old java
executable. Because when Bash searches for a program (i.e. "java") it does so
from left to right along your PATH and uses the first program that matches
the given name. ( - That was my explanation anyway)

If you use:
PATH=/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/bin:$HOME/bin:$PATH

With the old PATH at the end. Then you make sure that your new one is found
before the old one.

The other solution would be to make sure there is only one program called
"java" in your PATH.

> You definitely need Sun's j2re for it to work, and it won't work if you
> have kaffe installed as well.

You could work with Kaffe and have the rt.jar or classes.jar in your Java
Classpath (=the PATH for java). Kaffe is fine - they just do not have the
framework, it is only a runtime.

But it is a bit of a hassle. Sun's Java is easier to handle.

b.