In that case open MandrakeControlCentre>System>Services and check that pcmcia
is set to start at boot, and if it already is then you may have an IRQ
conflict between your pcmcia slot and your sound card. You can check that in
KDE Control Centre>Information>Interrupts  (I daresay there is a Gnome
equivalent)

If you have an IRQ conflict you have to fix it in your BIOS.
Start by setting PnPAwareOS=no, then if you are unable to assign IRQ lines in
your BIOS, try disabling unused devices, or moving cards to different slots.
It can be a bit of a PITA getting the IRQ lines right.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net