-----Forwarded Message-----

From: "Sites, Brad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Swap Limits
Date: 19 Feb 2003 13:50:24 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> It is my understanding that swap partitions are limited in size to
> 2GB, yet Red Hat's documentation points that your swap partition
> should be 2x the size of your physical memory.  Therefore, if you
> have a 2GB + of RAM, what is the best approach for sizing your swap
> partition?  Using multiple swap partitions or just keeping a maximum
> of 2GB swap?

This is another one of those "It all depends" type of answers.  It truly
does depend on what the server will be doing.  If you are using the system
to be a database server, or a server that has a lot of users that log in,
then I would stick with the 2x rule of thumb on swap space.  You are right
in that the limit on swap partitions is 2GB, so you will have to use
multiple swap partitions to achieve the size you want.  As someone else
mentioned, the physical arrangement of the swap partitions is something to
keep in mind.  Keep them off the same disks as your OS, applications, and
data files, if possible.  Another thing to think of is the priority of the
swap files.  If they are all on the same disk, then letting the system set a
different priority for each one is fine.  However, if you have your swap
partitions spread across multiple disks, then you might want to consider
setting all the swap partitions to the same priority so the swap reads and
writes are spread evenly across all the disks giving you better performance
in the event you use the swap space.

Just my $.02!

Brad Sites

Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:55:01 +1100
  6:55am  up 19:38,  4 users,  load average: 0.77, 0.48, 0.39
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * RH 8.0 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting

Some people have a way about them that seems to say: "If I have
only one life to live, let me live it as a jerk."