I am a relitive newcomer to computers at this point, about 4 years since I
first started. After I had been useing windoze 98 for a little less than a
year I attempted a installation of Redhat. What a PITA, I never did get it
right and gave up on linux for a while thinking that after I had more general
computer knowlege I woild give it another try. Back when ML 8,1 was new I got
the urge to try it again. I did a lot of reading and decided Mandrake would
be the way to go and purchased a 3 disk set of 8.1. It had it's share of
problems for a newbie but it wasnt bad and was a huge step forward compared
to the verson of redhat I had tried before. I also tried ML 8.2 for a while
and have been useing 9.0 since it first became avalable from Mandrake store.
   While all this was going on I installed windoze 98 a number of times on
quite a few machines and also played with win 95, 2000 and me a few times and
have also been exposed to the newer releases of Red hat a few times.
   The other day I was helping a friend with some problems in win xp, this was
the first time I had used xp. WHAT A PILE OF CRAP!!!
   My overall observations and opinions are while Linux in general is makeing
vast inprovements in ease of installation, Operating ease and features
Microshaft has added a few new functions and eyecandy and while doing so has
made little or no real inprovement and for the most part has just made bigger
bloatware that takes more and more control away from the end user and makes a
otherwise good machine run like a snail !
   If things in Linux and winblows both continue on the path they have been on
it is just a matter of time before Linux in general and Mandrake in
particular starts to take serious market share away from microshaft and all
the FUD that microshaft can churn out aint goin to stop it IMHO.
   I seem to run accross more and more people that use some form of Linux or
want to try it or have at least heard about Linux.
    Its kind of nice to see such a corrupt corperation slowly get their butt
kicked.
   After being involved with some rather corrupt corperations for a number of
years I seem to be enjoying watching the chain of events unfold.
  Just my 10 cents worth.

     Marc