On Friday 21 Feb 2003 H:31 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Friday February 21 2003 04:06 am, Poogle wrote:
> > Now to the point, yesterday while typing an e mail the screen froze
> > on the standalone MD system but the recently installed network
> > which runs through a new UPS was unaffected. About 1-2 mins later
> > an employee noticed that the clock on the wall was running
> > backwards.
> > I think this confirms my doubts about the building's power supply
> > but before I recommend investigation in this area I would
> > appreciate any thoughts.
>
>      You aren't situated in either the Twilight Zone or the Bermuda
> Triangle ?  .... otherwise I suspect the clock is a low volt DC one.
> An UPS always helps, cept maybe for the clock ;)  Random lockups and
> freezes are most always either hardware or power problems. If it's a
> power problem, and left unfixed with an UPS, it'll sooner or later
> become a hardware problem also.

Thanks Anne & Tom,
Until recently they had 2 x Win2000 PCs peer to peer, they also randomly
crashed, now their new "proper" network which is protected by UPS appears to
be stable, the only PC still affected is the standalone for which they are
not prepared to invest in a UPS - I can understand that as it's not essential
to the smooth running of the business, they only use it for e mail and
occasional browsing (not gone all e-commerce yet).
So having put UPS into the equation and now factoring in the twighlight zone
clock it does appear to be the power supply, to this end they have been
advised to get the power company to check things out - that should really
screw things up :-))
--
http://www.poogle.co.uk