Recently I tried to check which RPMs I had installed for a few packages,
and the rpm -qa | grep <package_name> took forever.  This has happened
in the past, so I just rebuild the database.

rpm --rebuilddb

I've done this many times in the past, with a number of machines, and it
goes through, takes a few minutes, but then works when it's done.  So I
tried this recently, and it never really rebuilds the database.  I've
been trying to rebuild the database for an hour now, and it's just
sitting there.

r2d2 mail # rpm --rebuilddb
r2d2 ~ $ ps auxw | grep rpm
root     25037  0.0  0.6  5020 3148 pts/17   S    14:01   0:00
/usr/lib/rpm/rpmd --rebuilddb

What's the problem here?  Is there something else I should be doing?  In
the past, after a power outage, once it reboots, the RPM db is fine.  I
would rather not reboot my workstation, and figured there was another
means around this.

Does anybody have any ideas/suggestions?

$ rpm --version
RPM version 4.0.4

Thanks a lot!
tdh

 T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091