On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 09:23, Adolfo Bello wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 11:37, Joe Braddock wrote:
> > You should not need to download anything to compile the PCTel driver.  Everything
> > is on your installation CDs for Mandrake (I know, because I recompile this all the
> > time).  You definately do not need to compile a new kernel, nor do you want to
> > download a different kernel source as some have suggested.  I've compiled this
> > driver with versions 8.0 through 9.1RC1 of Mandrake (although the 9.1 betas and
> > RC1 needed some tweaking of the script to get it to work).
> >
> > I'm not at my linux box right now, but will be this this evening.    But I can
> > check then on my notes as to anything special I had to do.
> >
> > Almost always, with Mandrake, the error you are getting means that the actual
> > kernel sources were not installed (or installed correctly).  What version of
> > Mandrake are you running and what package did you install for the kernel sources
> > (and did you change the name of the install directory)?
> >
> > Joeb
> Thanks for your response. I am already back working with the old and
> good 2.4.19-16. And waiting for 9.1.
>
> Thanks again,

Were you trying to compile against one of the beta or RC1 releases?  If
so, the kernel for those versions have "pre" imbedded in the version
name.  This causes the ./configure script to choke when it tries to
determine what kernel version you are using (it looks for an integer for
each part).  Anyway, you can modify the script and hard code the version
name with the "pre" embedded in it (just remember to change it back when
9.1 is really released).

Joeb