I've used RedHat casually for a couple years, but would like to try to
make Mandrake 9.0 my regular OS.  Under RedHat, I got used to using
gnorpm to do a webfind to see if any of my currently installed packages
had newer versions.  What is the equivalent function with the Mandrake
packaging tools?  I brought up the Upgrade Software tool under
Packaging, but that appears to only look for security-related updates.
I installed trusty old gnorpm, but when I did a webfind, it just hung -
never filled in the list with any packages.  I looked at the
destination, and it is going to (rpmfind.net something or other)/RDF.
Is that RDF on the end correct?

While I'm on the subject of packaging tools, I like the way Mandrake
keeps a database on the hard disk, and prompts you to insert the
appropriate CD when installing a package.  But I find having separate
install and remove tools very inconvenient.  If a package is not listed
in the install tool, that means either (1) it's already installed or (2)
it doesn't exist in the distribution.  To determine which of these is
true, and to identify which version is installed, I have to bring up the
remove tool, even though I have no intention of removing anything.  I'd
prefer to have a unified packaging tool.