On Monday 24 Feb 2003 5:20 pm, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> I've used RedHat casually for a couple years, but would like to try to
> make Mandrake 9.0 my regular OS.  Under RedHat, I got used to using
> gnorpm to do a webfind to see if any of my currently installed packages
> had newer versions.  What is the equivalent function with the Mandrake
> packaging tools?  I brought up the Upgrade Software tool under
> Packaging, but that appears to only look for security-related updates.
> I installed trusty old gnorpm, but when I did a webfind, it just hung -
> never filled in the list with any packages.  I looked at the
> destination, and it is going to (rpmfind.net something or other)/RDF.
> Is that RDF on the end correct?
>
> While I'm on the subject of packaging tools, I like the way Mandrake
> keeps a database on the hard disk, and prompts you to insert the
> appropriate CD when installing a package.  But I find having separate
> install and remove tools very inconvenient.  If a package is not listed
> in the install tool, that means either (1) it's already installed or (2)
> it doesn't exist in the distribution.  To determine which of these is
> true, and to identify which version is installed, I have to bring up the
> remove tool, even though I have no intention of removing anything.  I'd
> prefer to have a unified packaging tool.

The Mandrake Update tool will list not only security updates, but all other
updatable packages. Just click on the radio buttons for  bugfixes' and
'Normal Updates'.

Alternatively open the 'Install Software' GUI and select 'All packages' by
'Update Availability'  (The tool to update the source database should be run
first)

Alternatively from a root terminal enter
urpmi.update -a    followed by
urpmi --update --auto-select

Alternatively Click on the 'Mandrake Update' icon on your desktop to schedule
updates overnight.

As you see there are a lot of choices :)

While you are thinking about updates. Visit here
http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php  and learn how to add more sources to
your system.

Adding a source for 'Contrib' and 'plf' is *very* useful, and will give you
access to hundreds of applications not on your CDs.

As for a unified package management tool. That is how it was in Mandrake 8.2,
and lots of people would prefer it to be unified again.  :-(

HTH

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net