On Tuesday 25 February 2003 05:42, Ralph Slooten wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:45:55 +0000 (GMT)
>
> Chris Slater-Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Chris M0BOP
> >
> > 73

> > > Add me to the list!
> > >
> > > Cheers (or should I say 73)
> > >
> > > Keith
> > >
> > > G4JVX
>
> Umm, maybe a dumb question, but what is a ham/s?
>

> Greetings
> Ralph
    Ham is sort of a slang term for amateur radio radio operator. The hobby
dates back to the early 1900s. To sum it up hams speak to each other via
radio. In the early days it was done with morse code but even then with the
crude equipment if the time communication over several thousand miles was
possible in latter years voice communication was possible world wide, Yep
world wide without wires or satilites. Today it has progressed to the point
where there ar around 30 satilites carrying ham radio transponders, some of
us also send video back and forth via the airwaves, there is a thing called
packet radio that is kind of like the internet but it is all done over the
airwaves without wires or a ISP, and some of us even bounce signals off of
the moon. In recent years about half of the space shuttles have carried ham
radio equipment and had at least 1 ham on board. The mir space station also
carried hams and ham radio equipment and made thousands of contacts with
amateur radio operaters around the world.  Hams also gennerally supply
communications into disaster areas, and allow people in the millitary to sort
of phone home via Mars ( millitary amateur radio service )
  This is just a VERY BREIF overview. for more detailed information go to
http://www.arrl.com
  Hope this gave you enough information to make some sense of it all.

    Marc