> I have a Pentium 200 MMX with 64 MB of RAM.  My installation took just about
> 1 hour- 4 times better than yours with only twice the RAM.  But I'm not

I used to run a Pentium 100 with (at first) 16 megs of RAM, but that
was back in 1996. Resource demands were less then. As I recall,
Afterstep worked well as a lightweight and usable window
manager. There are other choices as well. After I upgraded, in a
series of steps, to 96 megs, kde was pretty tolerable, but some
applications such as kmail were extremely slow in loading, window
drawing, and so on.

I also used a P-100 at work at that time (mid 2000) running Windows
98, 64 megs RAM. It was acceptable provided you don't try doing very
much with it. In other words, 64 megs were enough to do email and play
Solitaire in. But trying Excel and largish spreadsheets - forget it. I
would sit idle at work for nearly 2 hours at a time watching that
thing swap, and oftentime I would haev to leave it up at night to
return in the morning to see it complete. I finally got them to give
me a faster machine, but still it was unusable at times due to the
excessive HD activity. And unlike Linux, when you swap on Windows, you
can't do anything else.

> Not sure how- but maybe you could run in text-only mode and bag the
> graphics?  Set up a little server (HTTP, FTP, mail, etc.) and use telnet or

A good idea - 32 megs of RAM is more than enough for text/console work
and you can do a lot with that, thanks to virtual consoles and so
forth. If graphics are a needed feature, try a lightweight window
manager, since KDE needs a boatload of RAM to do its thing.