>> shorewall has taken a bashing on this list,
>> with many suggesting alternatives,
>> eg gshield, guarddog, firestarter, etc.
>>
>> i just wanna relate my own good experience.
>>
>> i was trying to configure my mdk 9.0 box to share
>> my internet connection with a small home network
>> consisting of 3 win9x pcs and 2 linux boxes.
>>
>> i first used the internet connection wizard in mcc,
>> which didn't work.
>>
>> went to www.shorewall.net, and the quickstart guide suggested
>> the two interface config.
>>
>> instead of using it wholesale, i compared the config files,
>> found a few differences, opened up the ports i needed,
>> restarted shorewall, and it worked.
>>
>> the entire process took me around 15 mins,
>> included reading the stuff at www.shorewall.net.
>>
>> i think the essential diff was mdk 9.0 tried to
>> 3 zones in their shorewall config, while the two
>> interface version of the quickstart guide used 2 zones.
>> (if you dun understand what i'm saying,
>> just spend a couple of mins with www.shorewall.net)
>>
>> i'm no expert, and i'm sure the mdk developers had
>> a good reason to do what they did, but this setup worked
>> easily for me.
>>
>> others trying to configure shorewall can also search
>> the archives for a couple of extremely well written

I do not doubt that Shorewall can run nicely once configured properly.  I
was meaning that my experiences with it (like most) are terrible.
Most of my experiences with any firewall configurator sucks.  Thats why i
say go down to learning the actual rules and ways of iptables since it is
directly in charge of it...not any of the GUI configurators.
Rob