On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 19:17, Andrew Scotchmer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Much conventional question this time (sorry about the last one I really didn't
> mean to offend or annoy).
>
> Anyway I'm trying to install VMware 3.1 and after installation I get this
> message when trying to run:
>
> VMware Workstation Error:
> VMware Workstation is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
> for your running kernel.  To (re-)configure it, your system administrator
> must find and run "vmware-config.pl".
>
> After running vmware-config.pl  I get this message:
>
> None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your
> running kernel.  Do you want this script to try to build the vmmon module for
> your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
>
> After choosing yes I receive another message:
>
> Argument "gcc (GCC) 3" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at
> /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 1476, <STDIN> line 1.
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
>
> Where are these files please they are not in the directory it suggested
> [/usr/src/linux/include].  I've tried allsorts but with no luck.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Andrew

You're going to need to install the kernel sources and header files - I
think they're on CD3 - but could be on CD2 - either which, once you get
the kernel sources and headers installed, you can then safely run the
config script for VMWare without any further hassles.

I manually added the kernel sources because I didn't want to depend on
the Mandrake Control Centre and the Software Manager - but someone else
might have a better way of doing the installation of the kernel
sources...

--
Mon,  3 Mar 2003 09:40:00 +1100
  9:40am  up 4 days, 23:43,  5 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.12, 0.22

You never ever volunteered. Not even if a sergant stood there and said, "We
need someone to drink alcohol, bottles of, and make love, passionate, to
women, for the use of." There was *always* a snag. If a choir of angels
asked for volunteers for Paradise to step forward, Nobby knew enough to
take one smart pace to the rear.
(Feet of Clay)