On Sunday 02 de March 2003 23:55, Robert Wideman wrote:
> >> Have you tried firestarter? It's quite simpler than
> >> ZoneAlarm  --it only has two tabs, one which reports
> >> connection attempts and blocked packets, and the other
> >> inside of which you can create rules for your firewall
> >>
> >> http://firestarter.sf.net
>
> Ok, this is what initially got me into Linux....firewalling and security.
> I am not saying i am the shit.  God knows that i am not.  I am just saying
> this is a HUGE field that you actually got to do the research yourself b/c
> there are so many capabilities of apps out there.
>
> Also, i am not stating that Damien is incorrect in his information.
>
> Firestarter is not a port "monitor".  It is a front end to IPTables.
> IPTables is a firewall.  If your wanting a port monitor look into Snort
> or other IDS (intrusion detection system).  Snort is the best IDS out
> there, with options of a firewall.  If your wanting a firewall then go
> with IPtables.  If you go with IPTables and you want a GUI configurator
> then go with Firestarter.

Well, i made my suggestion only because he was asking
for a ZoneAlarm-like program. As you may already know,
ZA is a software firewall for Win32, it notifies you of blocked
connections as they happen, and can be set up with simple
rules. To my eyes, iptables + firestarter are pretty much the
same thing, with the only difference that ZA is application-based
(i.e. whenever an app wants to access a network interface
you are presented with the option to allow that process or not)
and Iptables is purely rule-based.

You are correct anyway, i was not talking about a port monitor at
all. But i did not intend to.

Damian