Hi,

Thanks for your answers, but I have to say you've got me confused.  Damien
says that firestarter will report connection attempts (exactly what I
need) whereas Rob says that firestarter is a firewall and does not
"monitor ports".  Since I only use dial-up for my computer and I never use
it as a server, I really need something simple.  What happened to me was
that I was on an IRC when somebody obviously took my IP and attempted an
ftp access; he/she also tried to access swat on port 901.  What I am
looking for is not something which needs to work on its own, but only
something which would warn me 'ftp access attempt on port 21' or 'swat
access attempt on port 901' and offer to authorize it or not (this is what
ZoneAlarm did on my old MS box).  Alternatively, I how can I best
(remember - I am a total newbie at all this) block all my ports (except
http to browse) and open them only only when I need them (in my case
probably only ftp from time to time).

Sorry for the primitive question...

And thanks,

Andrei