On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 02:02, Chris wrote:

> I had thought about that also Stephen.  I did a few calculations.  The xscreen
> saver kicked in about 10:15 last night and as of 7:30 this morning hadn't
> rebooted. I have 118 screensavers ticked and its set to randomly pick one.
> The time between savers is 2 minutes.  So, if it did run through them all,
> its "possibly" not xscreensaver, but if it didn't run all of them, then it
> could still be the key.  I guess the only way to find out for sure is to run
> one at a time and see.  If I wanted to try and track this down by checking
> logs, where would I start Stephen?

I'd start in several manners - just out of habit:

1.) Check BIOS settings for the RAM and system speed and the likes
2.) Set all HD parameters to optimal settings
3.) Check the video drivers (or update them and make sure the proper
settings are in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 as per the graphics card)
4.) Check all path statements in /etc/profile and in the /etc/ld.so.conf
for any path conflicts or library conflicts
5.) Make sure that all file systems are checked (fsck) so that all
inconsistencies are repaired
6.) Turn off all unnecessary services that are running in the background
7.) Clean out anything unnecessary in the /tmp directory
8.) Monitor your logfiles:
        /var/log/messages
        /var/log/XFree86.0.log

What I still haven't heard about this issue, though, is when did the
machine work properly last? What has changed or been modified or
installed since that time?
--
Sun,  9 Mar 2003 06:00:00 +1100
  6:00am  up 19:04,  5 users,  load average: 1.15, 0.92, 0.66
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
| linux user:267497 * RH 7.3/8.1 * Mandrake 9.1 * Microsoft Free |
|      PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Web/Graphics/Consulting           |

Mix's Law:
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary building.
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary tax.