Chris wrote:

On Saturday 08 March 2003 08:52 am, John Richard Smith decided to hunt and peck on the keyboard and typed:

anyones eye. I came home from work at 5:15 and my system had apparently
rebooted itself about 15 minutes ago. I can't find any reason for this
at all. I've checked the logs. This also happened yesterday. Can
anyone

Just out of curiousity, is it rebooting at the same time or some multiple
of time or is it random.

It seems like its a random event.

You don't have a green monitor ?
(TCO marked)

John

Ok, John, not wanting to really appear stupid on the list I'll reply off-list. If you mean, a powersaving monitor, yes I do, is it enabled, no its not. If you meant something else, please let me know.

No, that's exactly what I mean, because I think it is something to do with
the problem, I have had something similar, none of this I can prove beyond
all doubt, but these power management systems are getting complicated.

First , there is bios putting it's ore in, in my case bios not only manages
it's own powerdown system , but also manages to monitor in the
"green state" irq traffic , as well as screen mode or state , and I dare say
other things as well.

Second you have the OS's own screensave, and powerdown aspects.
Most of this can be shut off, but on M9.0 powersave does not shut
down effectively.Not even on the command line.

Third , These TCO monitors ( known as green monitors, becuase of their low energy consumption when in the powerdown state) have some sort of chip based programme built into then, in other words they control themselves
by reading the state of the CPU / Memory / keyboard / mouse use, and
I suspect something is not right about the way Mandrake handles these
issues.

None of this is proven. I'm just gessing it.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]