On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:54:11 +0000
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Len Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> ------------------------ all snipped ----------------------
> Understanding linux printer setup is not easy, and
> so here is my best try,
>
> ---------------------- snip snip snip ----------------------

Ladies, Gentleman, and script kiddies.  Done it!  Retreading old
ground, I discovered the exact prescription to allow ghostscript to
locate the new fonts for postscript files.  Since gv was unable to
render them either, I figured that it was purely a ghostscript problem
- nothing to do with CUPS.  GS finds the font resources in the
ghostscript and Type1 directories under /usr/share/fonts/defaults.
Indexing is performed through a Fontmap file in ./ghostscript, but in
Mandrake 8.2 and 9.0 this is a bad link, pointing to lib/Fontmap.GS in
the ghostscript installation directories.  This was probably the case
with 8.1 also, and may be carried into 9.1.  The link references the
wrong (older) version of Ghostscript.  Anyway, I repaired that link
and carried out the following operations (using Verdana-BoldItalic as
an example):

cd /usr/share/fonts/msfonts
# Generate Type1 fonts from TrueType
./ttf2pt1 -e verdanaz.ttf verdanaz
# Copy the font metric file to ghostscript
cp verdanaz.afm /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript
# Copy the ASCII font file to ghostscript
cp verdanaz.pfa /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript
cd /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript

Then, edit the Fontmap file.  Insert the following line in the end
section, using tabs as separators, not spaces:

/Verdana-BoldItalic                     (verdanaz.pfa)  ;       % 5066571

The font alias at the beginning of the line must match exactly the
name held in the font files and it is this which should appear in the
postscript file itself with the findfont directive.  Your document
generator should handle this automatically if given the correct name.

e.g. /Verdana-BoldItalic findfont 14 scalefont ISOEncode setfont

The line
%%DocumentNeededResources: font Verdana-BoldItalic
appears in the document header.

I feel a bit of a fool for taking so long to find such a simple solution
to this problem.  Time to get a life I think.
--
Len Lawrence
Never argue with a fool -- people might not be able to tell the difference.