On Monday 10 March 2003 08:12 pm, Brian wrote:

Brian, please do not send to the list in html. It's a waste
of bandwidth and some people may be very pissed off.
Then, to your questions :

> So if I understand this correctly, then the NTFS support
> in Mandrake 9.0 is read-only?

Yes, but rumours tell that Mandrake 9.1 will do the job.

>I did just try to
> write to an NTFS partition on my test computer and it did
> not work. In that case, is there any third party
> drivers or utilities that will allow you to write to an
> NTFS partition from Linux?

Same as above.

> I would like the users home directory, i.e. -
> "/home/userid" to be on a partition that is readable from
> both Linux and Windows.

In that case you must create your /home directory as a FAT32
partition (which is a very bad idea indeed - no security at
all) and - furthermore - make it the first partition after
the Windows - partitions, as Windows is unable to *see*
beyond any non-windows filesystem.

>I saw in userdrake that you
> can redirect the home directory. Can it be
> redirected to a FAT partition from userdrake or does it
> have to be on a linux FS? Of course I would prefer
> something that is a little more secure, but I can
> probably deal with FAT32 if need be.

Same as above. But a lot of people make a separate FAT32
partition between Windows and Linux. That way you can read
and write to this partition from both worlds. And so can
other users on your Linux-box. That's why You can keep your
private stuff private on a linux-partion. If you want to,
make a script or a cron-job that regularly copies your
files - or some of them - to the FAT32 partition so you can
use them from Windows as well.

> Thanks for the help,
> Brian

HTH and Good luck