Adolfo Bello wrote:

That's right, NTFS support is read-only.

I was in the same situation you are right now four months ago. Right now
I rarely use XP (only when I need to login to some clients Windows
domain or to open old Access files). My setup is as follow:
1.- A 10 GB NTFS for XP.
2.- A 1 GB FAT32 partition.
3.- A 256MB ext3 partition for /boot.
4.- A ~18 GB Reiser partition for /
5.- A 640 MB swap partition.

Now you are gettting into some areas, I am not familiar with yet. This is good. I think I might be misunderstanding how Linux is setup (I am a week into the learning curve so please bear with me). Is /boot just your boot-loader, or does boot also contain the OS? 256MB for the entire OS seems kind of lean. So I would gather that the OS primarily ends up under /. Now when i did a quick Mandrake installation it only created two partitions (/ and /home). So boot must be something that you create manually as part of the advanced setup? I don't want to tie up your time if there is some good documentation that explains to me how the various partitions work, so if you could point me to that i would be grateful.

I have been considering purchasing the o'Reilly book "Running Linux" does anyone have any feedback on this book, or another good book for getting started with Linux? Again, I know how to use a computer quite well, so i am looking for something that will bring me up to speed.

If you are going to use MySQL, I recommend you to set it up in Linux.
Performance difference is huge. I have a database creation sql script
that takes 22 seconds in XP and 1.1 second in Mandrake. Same machine.
NTFS in XP and Reiser in Mandrake. mysql 4.0.11a. There is no error: 22
without period and 1.1. Just amazing. (I can send you the script off
list if you don't believe it).

I would love to see that script. I run MSDE on my XP workstation, but am going to start looking at mySQL on Linux once I get the basics of the OS down.

Finally, if you want to use both OS at the same time, try VMware. You
can download a one month trial version at www.vmware.com. I case you
decide to use VMware you don't need any FAT32 partition. Share a drive
or directory in XP and connect to it using Samba. This way you will have
full access to NTFS.

Is the VMWare client stable? This would probably be an awesome option for me. I haven't used VMWare in almost two years and it was not all that reliable under Windows 2000.

Thanks for all the input,
Brian