On Tuesday 11 March 2003 03:22 pm, you wrote:

> > Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> It is highly mouse-dependent--signal-strength wise.  With a high quality
> KVM most mice work acceptably, and with a strong mouse signal, the Belkin
> (which I use) works acceptably.

It doesn't seem mouse dependent, more timing dependent.  If I have the
problem I can switch away, then switch back, and the problem is gone.  It's
just that initial wild control that gives me the problem.

> But your solution is a bit of overkill.  The actual solution is to hit the
> penguin key (or the one with that wavy window trailing some melted paint)
> and use your arrow keys to select terminals and start your favorite term,
> su to root and
>
> # mousedrake

No go, key isn't active.  Googling for 'penguin-key" doesn't seem to pop
anything up - got any pointers?  In the meantime I'll CTL-ALT-1, login and
fix with mousedrake unless there's a faster mouse reset.

> On 8.1 you could also go to configuration and use Mndrake Control Center to
> get there, but some of the newer GUI interfaces for MCC do NOT allow
> keyboard navigation by any method I have tried.

I'd go to configuration if I have any control, the only control I have is the
keyboard, so a logout through CTL-ALT-DEL (shudder) is about the only thing I
could find to reset the mouse.

At the login screen there's apparently little I can do to screw up the mouse
pointer... it's always OK after a switch (at least in my limited testing).