On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 22:53, Jerry Barton wrote:
> I have a couple of programs that will either not run, or, after a while shut down
> giving the error "Segmentation Fault"
> I would mostly just want to know what exactly a Segmentation Fault is... Just off
> the top of my head it seems like a memory issue?
>
> programs that are having problems:
> gyach 0.9.1 (built from source - all requirements met) and tuxkart (via urpmi)
>
> Machine specs 320 MB RAM 750 Mhz athlon Asus a7v mobo mdk 9.0
>
> TIA
>
> Jerry

Even though you might have all the requirements met, you might have
either some stale libraries, or bad links to libraries, or not have
certain libraries in your paths. Check your /etc/ld.so.conf and you
might find that you can add a few path statements to that - so that your
searches for libs is at least out of the way. If you make any
modifications, you're going to have to run "ldconfig" again to rebuild
the lib path cache.

The seg faults can be caused from many different issues - one being that
if a binary is linked against a conflicting library - that is certain to
crash an application.

--
Thu Mar 13 23:10:01 EST 2003
 23:10:01 up 1 day,  8:33,  4 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.27, 0.25

"Largely because it is so tangible and exciting a program and as such will
serve to keep alive the interest and enthusiasm of the whole spectrum of
society...It is justified because...the program can give a sense of shared
adventure and achievement to the society at large."
- Dr. Colin S. Pittendrigh, in "The History of Manned Space Flight"