On 13 Mar 2003 23:15:02 +1100
Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Even though you might have all the requirements met, you might have
> either some stale libraries, or bad links to libraries, or not have
> certain libraries in your paths. Check your /etc/ld.so.conf and you
> might find that you can add a few path statements to that - so that your
> searches for libs is at least out of the way. If you make any
> modifications, you're going to have to run "ldconfig" again to rebuild
> the lib path cache.
>
> The seg faults can be caused from many different issues - one being that
> if a binary is linked against a conflicting library - that is certain to
> crash an application.

Thanks, Stephen, I'll look into the libs.  When I first set up Mandrake 9.0 I remember
seeing threads about ld.so.conf and ldconfig so that was one of the first things that
I did was to make sure that anywhere I have libs that they are in ld.so.conf and tried
(successfully as far as I can see) to make sure that duplicate libs didn't get
installed to say /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib (thought there are a few symlinks here
and there to libs).  Tuxcart I think is definitely a lib issue since it won't run at
all but immediately exits with "Segmentation Fault"  gyach, I'm not so sure of since
it can run sometimes for 2-3 minutes then it happens, or it can run for 5-6 hours
before it happens.  That was the reason I was wondering if it was a memory issue.  I
played around with it a bit and I've noticed that it doesn't happen hardly at all
under IceWM, never under PWM (at least not yet-it was up for 7 hours one day),
sometimes under fluxbox and WindowMaker... I've been away from KDE/GNOME for a while
so I don't recall the frequency of crashes there.
Also when I mentioned all requirements met, I meant that durring the ./configure there
were no "looking for x.... no" (there were at first but i noted these and installed
them before compling completely.  gyach was a program i wanted to run stably.) though
possibly it could have been built under a different (probably older) version of a lib
or ap that I have installed and that may be the problem, yes?
Thanks for your help :-)

Jerry
--
Registered Linux user # 300600