I am not all that Linux saavy, but I do knwo a thing or two about Windows.

Since it looks like you need to reinstall XP anyways, you may want to start from there.  During XP setup you can delete existing partitions and then instead of installing XP to an empty unpartitioned hard drive (which will automatically claim the entire drive for you in a single partition) you can create a partitoin and specify its size, and then install there.  Once you do that your options when installing Mandrake seem to open up and getting Mandrake onto the remaining space is quite easy.

This is how I installed Mandrake over XP and it worked fine.

Marshall Lake wrote:
I have version 9.0 of Mandrake.  My hardware is an HP Media Center 873n.

I'm having a problem getting Windows XP and Mandrake 9.0 to co-exist.  I
understand it's better to have Windows already installed when you try to
install Mandrake.  Is this correct?

During the Mandrake installation process at disk partitioning time I have
three choices (paraphrasing):
1.  Erase entire disk.
2.  Use the free space on a Windows partition.
3.  Custom partitioning.

Selecting option 2 fails.  If I select option 3 Mandrake installs all
right but trying to boot XP afterwards fails.

>From the little investigation I've done it seems that maybe I should be
installing Windows into a small partition to begin with.  But I don't see
that the Windows installation process allows me to do that.  Another
possibility is shrinking the Windows partition before trying to install
Mandrake.  I'm completely Microsoft and Windows ignorant.  Is there a
freeware program that will allow me to shrink the Windows partition?

Besides the above possibilities, is there something else I can do?