On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 02:05, Marshall Lake wrote:
> I have version 9.0 of Mandrake.  My hardware is an HP Media Center 873n.
>
> I'm having a problem getting Windows XP and Mandrake 9.0 to co-exist.  I
> understand it's better to have Windows already installed when you try to
> install Mandrake.  Is this correct?

By far, installing Windows and making sure it's on a FAT32 partition is
the best choice for compatibility and sharing data between the two OS's.
By installing XP first (or any version of Winblows thereof) you're at
least making sure that it's not going to frig up your partition tables -
installing XP AFTER you install any distro of linux is going to be a
headache - in a bad bad way.

> During the Mandrake installation process at disk partitioning time I have
> three choices (paraphrasing):
> 1.  Erase entire disk.
> 2.  Use the free space on a Windows partition.
> 3.  Custom partitioning.
>
> Selecting option 2 fails.  If I select option 3 Mandrake installs all
> right but trying to boot XP afterwards fails.
>
> >From the little investigation I've done it seems that maybe I should be
> installing Windows into a small partition to begin with.  But I don't see
> that the Windows installation process allows me to do that.  Another
> possibility is shrinking the Windows partition before trying to install
> Mandrake.  I'm completely Microsoft and Windows ignorant.  Is there a
> freeware program that will allow me to shrink the Windows partition?
>
> Besides the above possibilities, is there something else I can do?

If you have the ability to install Windows and then move that partition
to the end of the disk (using like Partition Magic or something similar
to do so) you're ensuring that the freespace before the Windows
installation is going to be for your beloved linux. Also, but putting
your linux partitions (or at least the boot partition) in front of the
Windows partition, should you hose up the disk, at least you can access
SOMETHING of your installation...

--
Fri Mar 14 07:55:00 EST 2003
 07:55:00 up 1 day, 17:18,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.10, 0.15

        It seems there's this magician working one of the luxury cruise ships
for a few years.  He doesn't have to change his routines much as the audiences
change over fairly often, and he's got a good life.   The only problem is the
ship's parrot, who perches in the hall and watches him night after night, year
after year.  Finally, the parrot figures out how almost every trick works and
starts giving it away for the audience.  For example, when the magician makes
a bouquet of flowers disappear, the parrot squawks "Behind his back!  Behind
his back!"  Well, the magician is really annoyed at this, but there's not much
he can do about it as the parrot is a ship's mascot and very popular with the
passengers.
        One night, the ship strikes some floating debris, and sinks without
a trace.  Almost everyone aboard was lost, except for the magician and the
parrot.  For three days and nights they just drift, with the magician clinging
to one end of a piece of driftwood and the parrot perched on the other end.
As the sun rises on the morning of the fourth day, the parrot walks over to
the magician's end of the log.  With obvious disgust in his voice, he snaps
"OK, you win, I give up.  Where did you hide the ship?"