I'm running a laptop that sounds identical to yours is it an LS400?
Mine works fine with Mandrake 9.1rc1 as it did with 9.0.  I would
recomment using 9.1 if you use GNOME (a lot of bugs were fixed) but KDE
seemed fine on both.

Mandrake's installation routine knew exactly how to handle the Neomagic
cards just make sure yo select the right one.

You will have to compile drivers for your winmodem.  This needs too be
done after you have installed linux.  Be sure to put the files on a
disk because you won't have internet access unless you leave a windows
partition on.
The drivers are at:
http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/dists/mandrake or
http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/dists/mandrake

Download the file called 8.1_devfs_info.tar.gz

I recommend reading as much as you can here:
http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/

Let me know if you have questions
-Noah