On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 14:58, Damian Gatabria wrote:

> OK.. So now you could try source. This way you will be able to tell
> if the problem is specific to the RPM package.

Trying to avoid compiling things as I'm making an attempt at doing this
from a "ground-up" perspective - at least my system is stable and I've
got my mail and shit working - so the rest I'm doing "as y'all would do"
- which will help me to not only understand the entire distro better,
but open my eyes to alot of nuances that I've missed before by just
"testing" MDK on another machine and not "living with it" on a day to
day basis...dig...

> > Why not post the script for those of us that are less lucky than you?
>
> OK. but...
>
> WARNING!

(Danger Will Robinson!)

> This script is (obviously) made specially for my own
> preferences and system configuration. It takes no parameters, no
> arguments, it's really dumb (i.e. poor error-checking) and may overwrite some
> of your libs with the new versions it downloads. So, before you try to run
> it, read it well and change it to your liking as to make sure you will not
> lose something you care about.
>
> It contains 4 files.
>
> One is called config-command. It is simply the `./configure` call, with all
> the parameters i like to use. You will definitely want to read this one and
> alter it as you see fit. Especially if you want to enable DVD support which
> i explicitly disable, and also some drivers which i cannot use that you may
> like. --I made the ./configure in a separate file simply
> because this way i found it easier to tweak... instead of seeking to the
> right part in the main script.
>
> The second is getsdl. Simply checks out, compiles and installs the
> latest CVS snapshot for the SDL library, which i use a lot. (i made this
> because MDK packages for SDL are not recognized/found by MPlayer's
> ./configure. Broken package, maybe? i dunno.) If you do not care about sdl
> drivers in MPlayer, you do not need this. The main script does not call or
> need this file. I ran it separately once or twice.
>
> The third is the real script, getmplayer. It gets the MPlayer CVS, win32
> codecs,  QT codecs , DivX, XViD, libavcodec CVS, RealPlayer codecs, LIVE.com
> streaming library, Vivo  codecs, and Xanim DLLS. Then it compiles
> all the source-based codecs and moves the files as i saw fit, then calls
> configure-command, and makes and installs MPlayer. Once it
> gets a successful build, it downloads and installs a set of fonts for
> OSD and subtitles.
>
> The fourth file is "limpio" (spanish for "clean"). Deletes
> files and subdirectories created by previous runs of
> getmplayer.
>

> Just put the files in an empty directory and run ./getmplayer
> (you will need to press the enter key as the script logs in
> for CVS versions of some things and you get the usual "Password:"
> CVS prompt)
>
> > (or less smart than you)
> Lots of those out there. :o)
>
> Damian

I'll give it a shot mate...lessee what damage I can do!

--
Mon Mar 17 15:00:01 EST 2003
 15:00:01 up  9:13,  3 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.20, 0.10
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * MDK 9.1 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting
 machine no:194239 * RH 7.3 * Sales - Service - Support - Tutor
** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **

The only perfect science is hind-sight.