I know it ain't about Mandrake, but it is about linux

Subject: Linux
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:48:38 -0500
From: george e featherstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IBM Linux Infrastructure to Provide America's Three Million Truckers
Nationwide Truck Stop Wireless Internet Access
17 Mar 2003, 3:53pm ET
 E-mail or  Print this story
- - - - -
1,000 Truck Stops to Be Transformed to Offer Transportation Industry
e-Business on Demand

IBM and Rocksteady Networks today announced that the companies will
provide the infrastructure for Columbia Advanced Wireless (CAW) to offer
high speed wireless Internet access at more than 1,000 truck stops
throughout the country. The new solution will enable trucking enterprises
to gain access to critical information by extending an e-business through
this new wireless e- solution.
Rocksteady software loaded on IBM's Intel-based servers running Linux
will enable the nation's truckers to connect to the Internet through
802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN'S) deployed by Columbia
Advanced Wireless. The new solution follows IBM's recent announcement
that the company joined Intel and AT&T to form a new company called
Cometa Networks to roll out a ubiquitous nationwide network of public
wireless LANs.
According to studies by CAW, more than 25 percent of the three million
truck drivers in the U.S. carry laptops. [1] The benefits of Internet
access to truck drivers are numerous including the ability for drivers to
quickly locate and negotiate loads, to transact banking, to maintain
contact with their business partners and employers, and to track weather
and road conditions.
CAW will deploy 802.11b or Wi-Fi hotspots at selected truck stops and
offer prepaid access cards that act like prepaid calling cards. When
accessing the Wireless Local Area Networks at the truck stop drivers can
access the Internet using wirelessly enabled laptop computers and are
prompted to enter an account number from the prepaid access cards. This
new service is designed to increase the driver's success in a highly
competitive industry.
For security and optimum performance CAW will deploy the Rocksteady NSA
Network Sharing Application and IBM eServer xSeries systems running Linux
as the platform for the new Internet access points. Rocksteady NSA
selectively determines whether the truck driver can enter the network and
dynamically manages their Internet session based on their credentials.
Additional capabilities, such as dynamic bandwidth shaping and metering,
help provide a high level of network performance by allocating and
prioritizing bandwidth usage in real time on a user-by-user basis.
"Trucking enterprises can help maximize the return on their IT investment
by utilizing an on demand operating environment through this secure,
reliable and scalable end-to-end mobility solution," said Rich Michos, VP
Linux Servers, IBM. "Accessing backend applications and data running
Rocksteady Network software on Linux and IBM Intel-based servers, the new
solution will help streamline the efficiency of the trucking industry's
business processes enabling truckers to do more business from the road."
"We wanted truck drivers to be able to enter a truck stop, and purchase a
prepaid card to gain access to the network, much like a pre-paid phone
card," said William Read, CEO, Columbia Advanced Wireless. "We require
virtually 100% uptime, and since we don't maintain an IT staff at the
locations, we need a highly reliable solution. We tried other solutions
that simply were not up to the task of performing reliably in a hostile
environment. Fortunately, we have found the integration of the IBM
xSeries systems and Rocksteady's Network Sharing Application meets our
reliability requirements and provides us the ability to rapidly deploy
and easily manage our platforms."
"With our expanding relationship with IBM, we can provide cost-effective
solutions that will span 1,000 truck stops within four time zones," said
Kerry Grimes, president and CEO, Rocksteady Networks. "CAW wanted a
product that was easy to install and maintain but powerful enough to
handle high-volume Internet access with maximum quality of service. With
IBM's hardware and our software, we were able to provide those services
without requiring IT managers to be onsite, which has the ability to save
CAW thousands of dollars in costs each month."
About CAW, Inc.
Columbia Advanced Wireless, Inc. (CAW) is in the business of marketing
and deploying 802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN's) to the truck
stop industry. The applied technology allows end users to access the
Internet remotely within a controlled area. The benefits of CAW's service
allows end users to connect to the Internet anywhere at a truck stop
without the limitations of wired telephone ports or other wired business
solutions typically provided by truck stops. Wired service providers are
limited in the number of ports available to the end user and typically
utilize a 56k modem resulting in a slow connection. CAW's solution
utilizes broadband service and offers connection speeds of up to 640k
while providing Internet access throughout a truck stop. This freedom
allows end users to access the Internet from anywhere at the truck stop,
i.e. while fueling at the pump, eating in the restaurant or relaxing in
the cab of their trucks. For more information, please go to
www.cawinc.com or contact CAW CEO William Read at (360) 693-4600.
About IBM
IBM is the world's largest information technology company, with 80 years
of leadership in helping businesses innovate. Drawing on resources from
across IBM and key Business Partners, IBM offers a wide range of
services, solutions and technologies that enable customers, large and
small, to take full advantage of the new era of e-business. For more
information about IBM, visit www.ibm.com.
About Rocksteady Networks
Rocksteady Networks provides software solutions enabling companies to
securely share their wired and wireless networks with employees,
partners, consultants, and customers. The RocksteadyNSA Network Sharing
Application proactively authenticates each user before they enter the
network environment and then selectively provides access to specific
resources and bandwidth based on the user's relationship to the
organization. Customers benefit from improved network security, as well
as enhanced usability and sharing capabilities. Rocksteady's turnkey,
single-vendor solutions reduce implementation and ongoing management
costs and easily integrates with existing security and authorization
technologies. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Rocksteady Networks is
privately funded and can be found on the web at www.rocksteady.com.
[1] According to the US Department of Labor study, 3.3 million truck
drivers were employed in 2000. stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos246.htm
Contact: Maury Lane
Company: Hill Country Communications Group
Title: RockSteady Networks
Voice: 512-415-1615
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Contact: William Read
Company: Columbia Advanced Wireless, Inc.
Title: CEO
Voice: 360-693-4600
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Contact: Lisa Lanspery
Company: IBM
Voice: 212-745-2304
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- - - - -

Linux counter number 167806
IBM Linux Infrastructure to Provide America's Three Million Truckers Nationwide Truck Stop Wireless Internet Access
17 Mar 2003, 3:53pm ET
 E-mail or  Print this story
internetwire
- - - - -
[...]