> locks up.  No way out, that I could find except to hit the reset switch.
> I've had this happen before recently when I was converting some .mp3s to
> .wav's. Any idea what could be causing this?

That's a kernel panic. I saw it discussed here a few weeks ago - some
where your kernel panicked and decided to oscillate the keyboard
blinkenlights. ISTR the code is somewhere in panic.c.

Odd that it would happen during mp3/wav conversion. That's somewhat
stressful, but IMHO your motherboard/CPU/memory combination may leave
something to be desired. What happens for instance when you run
cpuburn? Have you run memtest?