On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 03:09, Mungandi, Fred wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie to Linux. Over the weekend, I installed Mandrake 9.0 on
> a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 laptop. The little devil is powered by a
> P4 running at 2 GHz, has 40 GB HDD and 256 MB RAM. I installed it in a
> dual boot arrangement with Windows XP.
>
> The laptop has a touch pad mouse, which I do not use. Instead I use a
> Genius PowerScroll USB mouse connected through one of the two USB
> ports. It has no PS2 port at all. I also hooked up a USB keyboard in
> the remaining USB port.
>
> The problem is that the USB mouse does not work well. When X starts,
> the mouse only moves in the vertical direction with no horizontal
> movement at all. When I remove the mouse during startup and plug it in
> later when X has started, all goes well. It seems that hell breaks
> loose during startup, probably during auto probe. Could this be a
> problem with modprobe? Do I need a USB mouse driver of some sort?
> Please help I am very desperate. I am on the verge of giving up.
>
> Fred Mungandi
>
> Lusaka, Zambia
> Tel: +260-1-254303
> Fax: +260-1-254532
> Cell: +260-97-841560
> e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have a Toshiba 5005-S504 and my mouse is working nicely.

It was detected as a USB wheel mouse by Mandrake. Mine is a Microsoft
Intellimouse Optical.

Anyway, go to Mandrake Control Center->Hardware->Mouse and try different
ones. Maybe you find the right one in there.

Suerte
--
    __
   / \\   @       __     __    @   Adolfo Bello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>